Monday, August 1, 2011

Demographics - My Generation X

Week 3 EOC: Demographics- GENERATION X
“The Generation Xers are defined as much by their shared experiences as by their age. Increasing parental divorce rates and higher employment for their mothers made them the first generation of latchkey kids.” (Marketing: An Introduction by Armstrong & Kotler)  As a child I saw my mother establish herself as a successful entrepreneur. With the benefits of enjoying vacations to Europe and shopping on Rodeo Drive came the learning to do things for myself while my mother was busy working.  Home-cooked meals at the dinner table were a rare occasion as they were replaced by microwave burritos and Top Ramen in my room as I did homework. 
Quality time became materialistic rituals.  “Although they seek success, they are less materialistic; they prize experience, not acquisition.”  (Marketing: An Introduction by Armstrong & Kotler)  Understandably, my mother was extremely busy building  her business. Each year it seemed to bring new opportunity, more money but much less time. Now that I am a mother I am driven to an ultimate success that will allow me to make the money I need but won’t keep me from experiencing life with my children.  The ultimate goal when money comes in is to take the kids to experience the world.
“Once labeled as “the MTV generation” and viewed as body-piercing slackers who whined about “ McJobs,” the Gen Xers have grown up and are now taking over.” (Marketing: An Introduction by Armstrong & Kotler)  My generation pushed further the liberal mindsets of baby boomers.  Tattoos, medical marijuana, gay marriage are just a few things  of the older generations list of shame toppers that have been made accepted and standard ways of today’s society.   We also share the experience of watching the digital age take center stage in our  youth.
“From a marketing standpoint, the Gen Xers are a more skeptical bunch. They tend to research products before they consider a purchase, preferring quality over quantity, and they tend to be less receptive to overt marketing pitches.”  (Marketing: An Introduction by Armstrong & Kotler) With money being so scarce, a lot of thought goes into what purchases I'll make. There is nothing more upsetting than buying a product that doesn't deliver what it advertised. If someone trys to sell me a product it's deemed bullshit and an attempt to rob me blind until I can have some time to validate the sales pitch I've been given. When it comes time to make bigger purchases I'm more inclined to pass up a $50 computer special on Black Friday than a $1000 MacBook @ the Apple Store because I know the latter is proven to serve me better and give me so much for my money.
“For many of the Gen Xers that are parents, family comes first-both children and their aging parents-and career second.”  (Marketing: An Introduction by Armstrong & Kotler)  The sole purpose of my career is to be able to provide my children with everything they need to find their own success in their own careers. I believe their success to be dependent upon being able to provide all that they need, both material and experience, now in the present.  In the future my career will enable me to provide (hopefully) limitless help to my mother as she ages and may need special services. My career takes precedence over many of lifes issues only because it is the vehicle through which I can care for what truly comes first, my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment